Setbacks and trying to quit again
Many people stumble on their way to being a non-smoker. It doesn’t mean that you’ve failed or that you might as well keep on smoking.
You will have had your own reasons for going back to smoking. Perhaps you:
- Were triggered by another smoker?
- Had a crisis in your life?
- Quit when the time wasn’t right?
- Stopped using your nicotine patches, gum or lozenges too soon?
- Still think of yourself as a ‘smoker’?
- Thought it would be okay to have ‘just one’?
It’s important to remember that quitting is a journey. Most people try more than once to quit smoking. It’s the same as learning any new skill – you learn from your mistakes and keep trying.
Think about why you wanted to quit in the first place. Those reasons are still good ones. You’ve stopped before and you can stop again. Yes, it may be hard work, but you’ve done other hard things before. Believe in yourself.
Remember, you can use Quitline’s services as many times as you need to. When you’re ready to try quitting smoking again, we’re here to help.