Tips for quitting
Here are some of the best tips we know for quitting. You may be able to add to this list. Your top tips are those that work best for you. Enjoy your new smokefree life!
- Change your routines and habits
- Try nicotine patches, gum and lozenges
- Avoid situations that make you want to smoke
- Try to reduce some of the stresses in your life
- Make your home smokefree and get rid of ashtrays
- Wash all your 'smoky' clothes and furnishings
- Clean your car and keep it smokefree
- Cut down on alcohol
- Brush your teeth with a fresh minty toothpaste
- Book into your dentist to have your teeth cleaned
- Do things you enjoy - give yourself treats
- Keep a drink bottle filled with water with you
- Phone a friend for support
- Take time out for yourself
- Put up a list of reasons you quit somewhere you can see it
- Plan what to do when you go where there might be smokers– eg, chew gum
- Practise saying "I don't smoke", "I am a non-smoker", or "I'm not smoking anymore"
- Tell yourself it doesn't matter what other people think
- Spend time with non-smokers or ex-smokers
- Go for a walk when you are stressed or upset
- Reward yourself with a treat from some of the money you've saved
- Remember the 4 Ds if you get cravings – Delay, Drink water, Deep breathe, Do something else
- Keep yourself busy
- Learn about relaxation – it's about "letting go"
- Sign up for Txt2Quit
- Use the QuitCoach for online advice
- Share your story and get support from others on the Quit Blogs
- Register for weekly Quit Tip emails
- Call the Quitline
Tips for Staying a Non-smoker
Plan for challenging times. Carry with you:
- a list of the reasons you quit
- a list of rewards to give yourself
- some 'nibbles' – fruit, raw vegetables, etc
- a water bottle
- a notebook or scribble pad for writing or drawing
- phone numbers of supportive friends
- the Quitline phone number 0800 778 778 and website www.quit.org.nz
Remember, you don't have to quit smoking alone. We're here to support you with a range of free services.
Don't give up, Quit.
Looking for extra pages for the "Know Your Triggers" page in your Quit Book's Tear-Out Diary? Click here for the page to print off.